You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. ~Kahlil Gibran

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Liquid gold

Since about 2 hours after the twins were born, I've been pumping. They received all of my colostrum, and about 100 ounces of transitional milk and mature milk after that. Because they came a bit pre-term, the milk my body produces is tailored for a pre-term baby so it's packed full of extra calories and antibodies among many other extra nutrients smaller babies need. 

After they went home with their parents, I posted in the Florida chapter of Eats on Feets which is basically an organization designed to connect pumping moms with moms in need of breastmilk. That same day I was contacted by a very sweet mama to a 4 month old baby! I've donated to her twice already, and we're planning to meet up for a third drop off.  More recently another amazing mama of a teeny newborn contacted me and I donated to her for the first time this week.

I loved carrying the twins and giving birth to them, but there is also something so gratifying about donating my breastmik. Considering this is also my career (helping moms breastfeed successfully), I'm obviously passionate about breastfeeding and the unsurpassed benefits of breastmilk. So knowing how I'm helping these two babies just by handing over bags of my frozen milk makes me heart feel so full. And just like I did with the surrogacy I've been explaining pumping and donating my milk to my daughter. She vaguely remembers nursing as she self weaned just shy of her 3rd birthday and will often nurse her baby dolls or stuffed animals. So to her, "squeezing the milk out" (as she calls pumping) and giving it to other babies to drink is a completely natural part of lactating! She has even told me on a few occasions that when she grows up and is a Mommy, she wants to feed lots of babies with her milk. Oh be still, my heart!








Total to date I've donated 1400 ounces, and have another 200 ounces and counting in my freezer. That translates to 12 1/2 gallons of milk my breasts have produced in a little over 5 weeks. Moo!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I just saw you comment and found your blog. I'm so inspired I'm a tad speechless. Do you Facebook? I must know you. I would die for that much milk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on facebook! e-mail me and I'll send you my name to find me there.

      e-mail address: courtleigh01@yahoo.com

      Delete